VICTORIA WOMENS NEWCOMERS CLUB
Become A Member
Join A Luncheon
The objective of the Victoria Women’s Newcomers (VWNC) is to welcome newcomers to the Greater Victoria Area and help them meet people in the community through monthly
luncheon meetings and other social activities.
VICTORIA WOMEN’S NEWCOMERS CLUB CONSTITUTION
1. Women are eligible for membership within three years of their arrival in the
Greater Victoria area.
2. Length of membership is four years; AND/OR four years plus the balance of the
membership year that follows the four-year anniversary. This, however, can be
extended at the discretion of the Executive, depending on the size of the total
membership AND/OR personal circumstances of the member.
3. Membership shall be revoked for any member found supplying all or part of the
membership list to a non-member; or found using all or part of the list for any
purpose other than VWNC business or activity.
4. The membership year shall be September 1 to August 31.
5. All new members shall receive a copy of the Constitution.
B. FINANCIAL RESPONSIBILITIES
1. The VWNC is a volunteer organization. The VWNC’s activities are carried out by
the members without remuneration and solely for the benefit of the members.
2. The fiscal year shall be July 1st to June 30th.
3. All monies collected shall be used to further the aims and objectives of the
4. The outgoing Executive Board shall be responsible to ensure that all financial
obligations up to and including June 30th have been met. This shall be done prior
to the year-end financial statement being presented to the incoming Executive
5. At the September luncheon, the incoming Executive Board shall present the
membership with the year-end financial statement from the previous year.
1. Meetings shall be held monthly from September to June.
2. The Annual General Meeting shall be held in conjunction with the May luncheon.
3. Executive Board meetings shall be held monthly from September to June or as
called by the President or two members of the Executive Board.
1. The Executive Board of the VWNC shall consist of the following:
e. Additional positions as required for the operation of the organization
2. The responsibilities and tasks assigned to the additional positions may be
combined or altered at the discretion of the Executive Board.
3. To allow two people to share the duties of President and Vice-President.
4. The membership shall elect additional members to the Executive Board as
required for the operation of the organization and as recommended by the
5. The Executive Board shall be no fewer than seven and no more than fifteen
6. A simple majority of Executive Board members constitutes a quorum.
7. A member may serve on the Executive Board for a maximum of three one-year
E. NOMINATIONS & ELECTIONS
1. The President shall introduce candidates for Executive Board positions at the May
Annual General Meeting.
2. The President shall request further nominations from the floor.
3. All nominees must give their consent to allow their names to stand for election.
4. If more than one member accepts nomination, voting shall be by secret ballot. A
simple majority is required for election.
5. The incoming Executive Board will take office July 1.
1. The Victoria Women’s Newcomers Club is committed to protecting and ensuring
the confidentiality and integrity of members’ personal information and privacy
such as name, residential address, telephone number and e-mail address.
2. The Executive Board will remove all personal information from the VWNC’s
current records at a member’s request and/or when membership expires.
1. A Special General Meeting may be called at the discretion of the President to
make constitutional change.
2. The Executive Board shall present the membership with any proposed
amendments to the constitution one month in advance of the General or Special
General Meeting at which the vote shall be conducted.
3. Adoption of proposed Constitution amendments shall require a two-thirds
majority of the members present at that month’s luncheon.
4. Changes to Policy and Procedures Manual may be made at the discretion of the
Constitution approved May 18, 2011.
Constitution revised April 09, 2014
Constitution revised April 8, 2015
Constitution revised April 13, 2016
Constitution revised June 1, 2023